Friday, September 19, 2014

The Author's Paradox

I was recently asked about marketing by a fellow author and I feel like I'm a total newb in this arena.  However, I understand its necessity and realize it is not as simple as beating potential readers over the head with the idea that you wrote a book and they should buy it.  As such I've been delving into the discipline and wanted to share the response I wrote to my fellow author.

.....  I just joined goodreads.com, so I have little to contribute as far as its effectiveness.  I do share your observation that it seems difficult to reach readers.  I think until one has 'arrived' it just is so.  But I also think that this is a good resource to get your book out there, get it into the collective psyche of readers, and contribute to your efforts to magnetize your work.  It feels like there is a paradox in selling books: there are zillions of book consumers so selling some copies should be easy.  But there are a zillion books to choose from, so getting someone to choose your book seems impossible.  What I'm experiencing is that people have this built-in fear of making bad choices.  So it takes time to expose them to an idea before they accept it.  That means that you can't just tell them, "Hey, I have the greatest thing on earth!" and expect them to pull the trigger, even if it is the greatest thing on earth.  So, without some built in publicity or some stunt or providence that shines a bright light on your work it will probably take some time and effort to get people to trust choosing your book.
Let me share a story.  A few years ago JCPenny was suffering from declining sales.  They completely overhauled their leadership.  They brought in new faces with new ideas to attempt to turn things around.  What the new group discovered was that the previous sales model was insulting to their consumers.  A pair of jeans that they had a price point of $15 would be on sale for 80% off...at $14.99.  Everything was always on sale.  In fact, if you ever bought something that wasn't 'on sale' you were really just paying for a very marked up item.
So, the new leadership introduced the truth and respect campaign.  They were going to stop insulting their customers.  Instead of a pair of jeans being marked down to $14.99 they were just going to price them at $15, not on sale.  They got rid o the .99, because they felt it insulted their customer's ability to know the difference was a penny.  So they proudly introduced all of these initiatives.  They spread the word.  They advertised on their new model.  They worked for a new relationship with their consumers.
And....it failed miserably.  It turned out that consumption was such and emotional experience that buying a $60 pair of jeans for $14.99 made the consumer feel like they got over on the store.  They made a wise choice.  They could pat themselves on the back for being so clever in their purchases.  It didn't matter if that pair of jeans was always for sale and that was really the only price.  There was no sense of intrinsic value.  As such, most consumers bought, not for value or even need, but almost as a sport and buying things on sale meant they were winning.
So, what does this have to do with anything?  I think it means that the uneasy truth about being an author is that until you get into the hearts and minds of readers you have to, well, get into the hearts and minds of the readers.  And that typically requires more than just producing a quality product.

Namaste Bitches

find more at www.JerryMooneyBooks.com

1 comment:

  1. But I want to feel smart and cannot depend on my own flawed judgement so I have to wait until someone I suspect is smart to make a move. Its now tested, tried and true.

    ReplyDelete